apa national Art Show Entry information
Art of the Plains Exhibit
The Current Status of entering our show is currently OPEN!
Entry Deadline May 5, 2018
If you wish to be notified for future updates and news from APA, please subscribe to our email list. Subscribe
Please read the information carefully in each tab below.
If you’re looking to pay Membership Dues or Entry Fees, select the Dues and Fees tab below for payment buttons.
APA Juried Show Entry Information
- Neighbor Countries
- Dues and Fees
- Shipping Info
- Jury Process
- Image Specifications
- Video Guide
- Event Schedule
The American Plains Artists National Juried Show is open to all artists 18 yrs of age and older working in any traditional 2D or 3D fine art media in a realistic or representational manner. No photography or computer generated art will be accepted. For our artists living outside the United States along border countries, please see the Neighbor Countries tab for specific information regarding the return of unsold artworks after the show.
- Original works only, completed within the past 3 years
- Not previously shown in an annual APA Juried Show
- Reflect either alone or in combination the land, people, life or wildlife of the American Great Plains region in a historical or modern day setting. To learn more about this region and to get a little inspiration, please see our Education page!
- Maximum size for 2D works including frame is 1564 square inches. This is equivalent to a 24x36 image size with a 5 inch frame.
- 3D works/sculpture should be moderate in size and not exceed 100 pounds.
- All works must be for sale. Please see the Responsibility tab for more information regarding this.
- All members must sign up to receive emails. Please use the online form by clicking here to receive communications from us.
Non-Liability: The American Plains Artists, sponsors, agents or employees shall not be liable for loss or damage to any works of art entered. Although due care will be employed in handling your art.
- All artwork will be insured by Fort Concho NHL once it is on their premises and until it leaves the premises.
- It is recommended you carry your own private insurance against loss or damage including transit of your art to and from the exhibit. Each artist is responsible for initiating any and all claims with their shipping carrier or insurance.
- If your work is chosen for exhibit it must be shown as you are committing yourself by a digitally signed entry form agreement to exhibit your artwork. If you sell your work slated for exhibit prior to the show, you will be required to remit the commission fee. The commission fee is 30% or your retail price with 15% to the APA and 15% to Fort Concho NHL.
- Failure to comply with this could result in termination of your membership and forfeit inclusion in any future show. Please communicate with us if you encounter some unexpected and extreme event (natural disaster) that impacts your participation in the show.
SALES: Artists receive 70% of the sale and will be remitted when the received monies clear the bank. All artwork must remain in the show until the show closes--No Early Releases.
Participation shows that the entrant understands and accepts this clause and conditions as stated.
- Annual Membership: $35 per year paid in January of each year for all current signature and associate members. (If you are a new artist, you may become an associate member at anytime; however, membership dues are paid in January each year or at the time of our annual show.)
- Show entry only: $35 for current members who have already paid their annual dues for the year prior to the show, then you will select this option.
- For New Artists Membership only No entry: $35 per year. You will pay this option if you wish to become a member at the time of our show, but will not be entering the show.
- For New Artists Membership plus entry: $70. You will select this option if you are paying your membership dues and will be submitting work for jurying in our annual show.
- Other fees: A crating/uncrating fee of $15 will be assessed for each shipping box. This will be paid via check and made out to Fort Concho NHL and included with your shipment.
- All Membership and Jury Fees must be paid prior to filling out the digital entry form.
American Plains Artists
c/o Fritzi Heron APA Secretary
PO Box 14607, Odessa, TX 79768
For a receipt please include a SASE.
Accepted artists for the 2018 National Juried Show, will be sent specific instructions in their acceptance letter for the shipment/delivery of artwork to our show host, Fort Concho National Historic Landmark in San Angelo, TX.
- Artists are responsible for all shipping costs to and from the museum.
- Art should be sent in sturdy reusable containers.
- Do Not use Styrofoam peanuts of any kind, bubblewrap is recommended.
- Please use either Fed Ex or UPS for shipping to and from the exhibit. A pre-paid completed return label will be required by the end of the show. Information will be included in your acceptance letter.
- There is a $15 fee per crate/box for unpacking and repacking before and after the show payable to Fort Concho NHL. Please include this payment with your shipment.
- If a shipping box is damaged during transit to the show and a new box or extra packing materials is needed to safely re-pack your artwork, then an additional fee will be charged to cover the purchase cost of the new materials.
- For artists shipping outside the U.S. please see the NEIGHBOR COUNTRIES tab for specific information.
Initial jurying for show inclusion, will be from the Digital Entries submitted using our online entry form.
- Each work will be reviewed and evaluated by a panel of APA signature members on the aesthetic and technical skills of the artist in depicting the theme of the Great Plains. (Quality is important in your digital image files. To assist you, please see our video guide tab to properly prepare your digital artwork file for entry.)
- No separate awards are given for different media categories.
- Accepted entries will be juried for awards prior to the opening reception.
- 2018 Juror is Shannon Hanna owner of R.S. Hanna Gallery in Fredericksburg, TX
With deep Texas roots in the art gallery world, an eye to exceptional talent and long time focus on her artists, R.S. ”Shannon” Hanna has created two beautiful art gallery spaces in Fredericksburg, TX for collectors to experience some of the best in contemporary art from around the country—those artworks which deal in that undefinable but very real commodity that captures people in a moment, but enchants them for a lifetime.
She has been connecting exceptional art and collectors since 1998 in Fredericksburg for Whistlepik Gallery for 11 years, then founding InSight Gallery with her sister in 2009 to national article fanfare. The next year creative differences caused her to move on, resulting in opening RS Hanna Gallery in 2011.
Her philosophy is to hold open a place for sharing life’s beauty with others, bringing “artist’s artists” and art lovers together. Thirty recognized artists from 14 states, Scotland and Canada have found a home with her. An emphasis on new, fine quality work of highly collectible artists, together with her thoughtful and attentive style to both artists and collectors alike, has marked her success with her new gallery.
“My goal is to promote our artists and help build thoughtful collections of art…. I especially love it when people come in and really spend time with the artwork, look at it and talk about it. I hope that visitors to the gallery will be reminded of the universal notion that we are all connected and that through seeking out beauty and art we learn about ourselves and our everlasting relationship with nature and each other.
" To learn more about R.S. ”Shannon” Hanna and her gallery go to www.rshannagallery.com.
ART OF THE PLAINS 2018
OVER $18,000.00 IN AWARDS
- Best of Show $2,000.00
- 1st Place Award $1,000.00
- 2nd Place Award $750.00
- 3rd Place Award $500.00
Clyde Heron Award (the most accurately rendered artwork of an historical subject) $250.00
Plainsman Award (People’s Choice) – $250.00
Golden Spur Award (Artists’ Choice) – $250.00
Arrowhead Award (Facility's Board Member’s Choice) – $250.00
Marvin Stevenson Memorial Award -- $200
Best Plains Landscape –$200.00 Best Plains Remnants –$200.00
These are two new awards to encourage diversity of subject matter in artwork. These two awards will change yearly.
The Texas Award – a one-year subscription to Texas Highways, Texas Parks and Wildlife and a copy of Texas Forts Trail by Texas Authors Derrick Birdsall and Kristine Davis—Book donated by Fort Concho Foundation
****All of the awards above and all ribbons are given by the American Plains Artists****
Publisher’s Award of Excellence – Digital Ad sponsored by
Fine Art Connoisseur $750.00 value
Publisher’s Award of Excellence – One-Third Page Ad sponsored by Art of the West $1,185.00 value
Publisher's Award of Excellence – Artist's Focus Award sponsored by
Western Art Collector $3,400.00 value
Publisher’s Award of Excellence – Full Page Ad sponsored by
Western Art & Architecture $4,950.00 value
Exhibition Award -- Four Person Exhibit -- sponsored by Fort Concho National Historic Landmark, San Angelo, TX
Artist’s Retreat Award – given by Our Heritage Guest Ranch, Jean Norman, Owner, Crawford, NE $400.00 value
Artist’s Retreat Award – given by The Hummer House,
Dan and Cathy Brown, Owners, Christoval, TX $300 value
Sculpture Supplies Award – given by Sculpture Depot Loveland, CO --
Karen Richardson, Owner – Two $150.00 Gift Certificates
Canvas Panels Award – given by SourceTek
Scottsdale, AZ - Owner JoAnne Pierce – Two award packages
TrueArt American Plains Award – given by Reed Art & Imaging, Lakewood, CO, Bob & Betty Reed, Owners, $150. 00 Gift Certificate
Award of Excellence –a one-year subscription to Western Art & Architecture given by Western Art & Architecture
Your Digital images should have a resolution of 300dpi (dots per inch) and a 700 pixel width on the longest side (horizontal or vertical) and kept under 3MB in file upload. Most smartphone cameras are 72 dpi so will not be adequate for submitting to our show. Please check the settings on your digital camera for resolution size. (dpi) To assist you in preparing your digital entry, please see our video guide tab for a presentation on how to properly prepare your digital entry. Please follow the guidelines presented in the video.
Each file name should follow the example format.
- Last Name, First Name Title of art Size Media $price
- Example: Doeartist, John Kansas Skies 16x20 Oil $1000.00
For 3D artists you may submit one or two additional images such as a side and back view or detail image to represent one entry. Your file name format will be:
- Doeartist, John Bronc Rider 15Hx10Lx10D Bronze $2000.00
- Doeartist, John Bronc Rider side view 15Hx10Lx10D Bronze
- Doeartist, John Bronc Rider detail 15Hx10Lx10D Bronze
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR IMAGE FILES
Please watch the following video guide tutorial on how to properly prepare your digital image file for entry to our National Juried Show. Review the Image Specifications tab for official image specs as information presented in the video may change. If your image is already at 300dpi the first part of the video will help you to simply resize your photo while additional guidelines are addressed to alter the dpi if your image dpi is too low or too high.
Free Photo Editing Software
Click the links below to visit the photo software websites.
- Paint.net (For Windows) Please note; Paint. net is not a web address. It's the name of the program.
- Gimp (For Windows and Mac)
Both of these software have quite a bit of photo editing capabilities for sharpening your image, contrast, color adjustment etc., it will be up to you to familiarize yourself with either one of these programs functionality and advanced features if so desired.
Calendar for the 2018 National Juried Show
- Deadline for digital entries: May 5, 2018
- Acceptance Letters will be mailed on or before: May 30th
- Accepted work should be shipped to arrive: June 18th-22nd
- Hand Delivery of Work to the Gallery: June 18th-22nd
- Show Open to the Public: June 28, 2018, 5:30 PM
- Opening Reception June 28, 2018, 5:30-7:30 PM
- Closing of the Show, Fort Concho NHL August 5th
- Pickup of Unsold Hand-Delivered Artwork: August 7th-10th, 10AM to 4 PM
- Return Shipping of Unsold Artwork: August 7th-10th
Most questions are answered here on the website, but if you still need assistance you may use our contact form or one of the email addresses below:
- Judy McElroy, APA Show Chairperson: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fritzi Heron, APA Sec./Treas.: email@example.com
If someone needs to make special arrangements they should call:
- Bob Bluthardt - Site Manager Fort Concho National Historic Landmark
- Phone: (325) 481-2730
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a printable PDF Prospectus for all of the above information please Click Here.
Art of the Plains Entry Form